Stan

Stan
On the Road

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

How We Met

I was a freshman at the University of Kansas and I lived in a girls dormatory called North College. We didn't have cell phones back then in1958, but the dorm had a switchbord and if you had a phone call a buzzer rang in your room and you went down the hall to answer one of two phones in a phone booth.

I got a call one day in April and when I said hello someone identifed himself as Stan Williams. I had never heard of Stan Williams but he said a friend, whom I had dated previously, had recommened me as a 'fun' date. He then asked me to go out with him. I told him,"I don't go out with boys I don't know." Soo, he suggested a 'coke date'. Back in those days at KU, a coke date was simply meeting to share a 'coke' at the Student Union to meet and get aquainted.  There were no strings attached and no obligation to pursue the friendship further. I accepted. He told me what he looked like so I could identify him later, 6 feet tall and blond hair. On the agreed upon date, as I was walking into the Student Union earlier in the day, there was a tall, blond boy walking out that resemblled the description Stan had given of himself. I said, "Are you Stan Williams?" He said yes and I said, "I have a date with you this afternoon". (This is pulling at my heart strings)

 I wasn't overly impressed. He was just a guy and it doesn't hurt to meet new people. Little did I know this was the man I would marry and live with for the next 58 years .

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beginning

We were the Ironman Team before anyone ever heard of the Ironman Triathlon. Our coach Troy Jacobson gave us that name when Stan and I starte...

Most Viewed Post